Tuesday 7 September 2010

The Mind as an Absolute



Before I start, let me make something clear: This post will probably no more than some random ideas, will probably lack structure, and will probably have a lot of disorder. This will also cover some things I have previously written about. Now to it.
From my perspective, the  mind is the only thing we can really class as absolute. Everything else, even that outside of our control and external to us is relative. The mind can make a situation out of nothing, it can perceive something that isn’t there(or maybe it really is) and it controls everything in the material world.
Thanks to Descartes, we have the rationalization that everything external to our mind cannot be proven. For example, I am longsighted and need to wear reading glasses, this shows that my senses are fallible, it shows that they cannot be relied on. Due to this fact, I cannot know for sure that the information I am receiving from the outside world is 100% correct. If this is the case, how can I know anything is actually real?
This is all ground work to emphasize the main point. Not only does this fallible interpretation apply to information received externally, but it also applies to ideas, the information we process internally. For example: if I tell a joke, one person may laugh and another may not. Why is this? Why is it that another person who also thinks(we will assume this for the moment) reacts differently?
If you can interpret something differently, on both a physical level and mental level, does this not mean that we are the creators of our own world? Yes we have patterns, ways of thinking that to some extent automate our reactions and interpretations of things, but these can be change.
I will leave you with this to ponder however: If we know we are thinking because we observe our own thoughts, how do we know for sure someone else is thinking? How do we know other people are real?

No comments: